5/8/08

Puked-On Cheese

Calpurnia
-Calpurnia Pisonis, third and last wife of Julius Caesar
-2542 Calpurnia, an asteroid discovered by E. Bowell on 11 February 1980 (my 7th birthday)
-Calpurnia, a four-piece rock & roll outfit hailing from Richmond, VA
-Calpurnia, the cook and maid to the Finch family in To Kill a Mockingbird

I never realized the distinguished line my cat's name came from. I called her Callie and my sister called her puked-on cheese, claiming that is what she looked like. Calpurnia came to live with me when I was 19. She was just a tiny kitten whose owner threatened to dump her if he couldn't find her a home. So the next day, he brought this cute kitten in a back pack to IHOP where we both worked. He kept her in his locker until I finished my shift. I feel in love right away. She was such a sweet kitty. She and I would sit on the roof of our house together watching the clouds, birds and occasionally a funnel cloud trying to turn into a tornado but never quite making it. That was our special spot to escape the world. I wasn't able to take her to Oklahoma with me so she stayed with my mom. Every time I visit, I always make time for my Callie. My mother called last night and told me that she died on Sunday at the ripe, old age of seventeen. I have hardly seen her these last few years and sadness has still come over me like a wave crashing on the shore. I will always miss her.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment