5/4/11

Lake Bastrop

 I truly love camping with my family although it is so much harder when you have a baby tagging along.  Typically, we camp in a tent however we decided to try out these cabins by Lake Bastrop and I was ecstatic about them.  I actually had a place that I could trap the baby and not worry about her jumping in the lake.  It was a relief for me and made the trip much more enjoyable.  Of course Tim was very clear that we were not camping just having an outdoor adventure.  Perhaps he is right but I was much happier and in the end that is all that matters. 



Naturally, I forgot many things for this trip because that is who I am.  The kids all me Mommy Forgettor.  So on our first night there I run up to the store to buy the food I forgot.  I come back later with some really great dishes that I had been wanting but of course I forgot to get a can opener which is why Tim is opening beef stew with a pair of pliers.  I love you babe!  I also brought back a watermelon but forgot the smores.  That is just wrong.  How can one go camping, I mean have an outdoor adventure, without smores.  Back to the store I go. 



The kids and I were so amazed at the large number of wild rabbits in the area.  Tim thought we could make a tasty stew but the kids and I squashed that idea.  Our sweet sunshine baby was a little freaked out the first morning she woke up.  She actually wouldn't move even when I told her it was alright and tried to pick her up.  She must have stayed there with the blanket over her face for ten minutes without moving.  Silly girl.



We took a walk along the lake and found some really great rocks that we cracked open and saw how beautiful they were inside.  Then further down the path we met up with a turtle.  We decided he must be Brer Turtle from Uncle Remus because just like the trickster in the stories Brer Turtle disappeared before we could properly harass him.  So we figured that he was hiding in the brush with Brer Rabbit just laughing his fanny off while we searched for him. 



The lake had a recent oil spill causing it to be much lower than it usually is which explains the odor of dead fish and the multitude of vultures.  This is also the reason we were able to find those great rocks and this group of dead water plants.  It was kind of sad though. 




Mr. Funny just had to get the plastic spoon out of the lake so he made the Chatterbox wade out and retrieve it.  He had a point.  We don't want to be litter bugs do we. 


We went swimming in the lake and the kids had so much fun.  The water was only a few feet deep due to the recent oil spill and of course the lack of rain so they didn't have to worry about sinking.



I, however, did have to worry because Miss Sunshine likes the water alot.  I kept luring her out of the water so I didn't have to hover over her but we kept going back to the water.  She is so cute. 




In one of my attempts to keep my Sunshine away from the water, I convinced her to put sand on my legs and next thing I knew I was the source of entertainment.  Being buried in the sand was a fun feeling and I highly recommend trying it sometime although you might watch out for funny hubbies who like to draw breasts in the sand.  Of course the kids had so much fun burying me, they insisted on being next.



When I woke up that first morning, I walked to the lake's edge and looked up to see a pale blue sky streaked with tree limbs.  It was so beautiful and I wanted to draw it but I that's about the time the kid's woke up so I took a picture instead which now reminds me of my good friends book cover.



Our Sunshine thought it was so funny to put her swim suit on her head and walk around but that only lasted until the first fall.  Then it was no longer funny to her.  I still think it deserves a giggle.



After we had packed up to head home, we decided to head over the the Dinosaur Adventure.  It was about a half mile walk of various dino statues with fun facts about each one.  Along the way, we would search for scavenger hunt clues and one of them was dino poopies which the kids naturally loved.  Our favorite was the Stegosaurus and Mr. funny and I both agree that the T-Rex was a little too scary.  I could barely look at him to take a picture but I took a second one just to capture the fear in my boy's eyes.  He gets that from me.  I am deathly afraid of that great extinct beast because Jurassic Park showed that it was possible to recreate dinosaurs.  I am getting the chills thinking about it. 









All in all, it was a great trip.  I still felt a little down but so much better than before.  I feel as though I can handle my life again.  I am taking a much needed break from school and spending more time outside having fun and of course, writing again feels so wonderful.  I'm sure I will be back to my giggling, silly self in no time at all.

1 Comment:

  1. WWJ said...
    Great blog, Kat. And the pics are gorgeous. You make camping - er, I mean outdoor adventures - look like something even I might want to do! What fun!

Post a Comment