5/20/11

the happiest mom

"I'm an optimist. I know being a mom can be messy, but I think moms can be, and deserve to be, happy."
Meagan Francis

Parenting Magazine helped author Meagan Francis put out a book called, "The Happiest Mom".  She gives ten steps to be a happier mom drawing from her own experiences.  Its nothing we haven't heard before but she says everything in such a way that you slap your forehead and say "Duh, why didn't I know that!"  She is funny and charming.  There are tests in each chapter to help figure out where we fall in certain areas, quotes from other moms and tidbits of advice.  Its because of her I have decided to seek medical assistance for my depressive state which I hate but she says that we deserve to be happy and since I'm not most of the time, something has gotta give.  So here is a quick rundown of her book but for the full effect go out and buy it yourself! 

step one - take the easy way out
     i have been trying to make things in my life simpler but i seem to be cutting out some of the things i like to do instead.  crap, time to re-evaluate.

step two - aim low and go slow
     in this chapter you learn techniques to lower your expectations.  if you have been to any of my kids parties, you know that i need to memorize this chapter. 

step three - trust your gut
     i have always been really good about this one also but there is alot of good info that is great for anyone who tends to worry a little too much.  you know who you are. 

step four - keep it real
     this is a big one for me. i miss the old me alot and realized that i have forced myself to push young, fun kathy aside and replaced her with old, fat, cranky mom.  so now i am on a mission to rediscover myself and make sure that i am real with who i am with all my different roles.  my daughter said that she likes my tummy because it makes a good pillow, well its still outta here but she can use it while it lasts.

step five - find your tribe
     i am lucky here because i have a great circle of friends although lately, i haven't been asking for the help i so clearly need.  but i am working on it.  so if you see that i need help, don't be polite to me just tell me what i need and make me do it.

step six - go with the flow
     this is so easy for me.  plans change and so do i.  but if you have trouble rolling with the changes then you better study this one. 

step seven - make your bed
     now we hit a snag.  i am better at making messes than cleaning them up.  this will be hard to do especially when i learned my life lessons from a woman who could be a feature on any hoarder television show. although, i have hired a mother's helper for the summer to help me clean out my house of all the extra stuff that i do not need.  next, i will train the children to clean . . . well, maybe i better send them to another mom for that part.

step eight - have a plan
     another one that i had to read twice.  planning is not my thing but i am going to try for general stuff first and see how i do.  maybe i better read this one again.

step nine - look out for #1
     who is she talking about?  I stay out and look at the sunset when take out the garbage and listen to pink while i wash dishes.  isn't that good enough?  no?  well, i got my work cut out for me. 

step ten - love your love life
     hmmm . . . i will revisit this one after i get on medication because i feel that i judge him too harshly at times.  he really is a great guy.

We can all learn something from this book so go out and buy it, borrow it and then throw some food out for the munchkins, lock the bathroom door and learn something new about you. She also has a blog - thehappiestmom.com for more reading enjoyment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment