10/14/08


Last Friday we had a wonderful speaker at MOPS. Her name was Andrea and her speech was called, "Life is like a box of Chocolates". While agreeing with the quote made so famous by Forest Gump, she also said that there were other 'chocolates' that we should add to our box.

The first of these were truffles which she equated to friendships. She went into detail of the importance of having friends, not just the casual friendships but she wants us all to have those tight-knit friendships we all had in high school.

Skittles (chocolate variety) represented the unexpected. We all have unexpected moments in life, some good and some bad. It is important, she said, that we not let these times get us down instead focus on the good of the situation. In Proverbs 15:15, A miserable heart means a miserable life; a cheerful heart fills the day with song.

Tootsie Rolls remind to let things roll off of us by forgiving others. She emphasized that when you forgive someone you are not condoning their actions but you are letting go your hurt and anger.

Dark Chocolate is full of antioxidants which help to protect our bodies. We need God's word in our life to help protect our mind from worry, stress, fatigue and everything else that seeks to bring us down. Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him - James 1:5.
Hershey's Kisses represent God's love for us. We often put up barriers that prevent his love from shining into our hearts so we must put down our barriers and let God love us. We are all lovable.

Mint Chocolate are our dreams and passions. God placed these dreams and passions in us so we need to use them and not let them fade away. Some of us don't know what our dreams are or what we are passionate about so Andrea suggests that we ask our friends who see things inside us that we cannot see ourself.

The last piece for our chocolate box are Peanut Butter Cups which are typically enjoyed for what is inside. Enjoy what is inside you and let others enjoy it also.

Afterwards we all discussed which chocolates were needed in our box. My box is definitely in need of some skittles. I tend to get upset and angry when things go a direction other than my well orchestrated plans dictate. Its really hard to let things go and be cheerful instead of angry, but I guess that leads me to the next chocolate I need. Dark chocolate. I know I need more of God's word in my life to help me through those unexpected moments. But I also need some truffles. I have several good friends but I find it so difficult to build those friendships into an unbreakable bond, especially when we all have different responsibilities to our husbands and our children, and sometimes work. Everyone in my group needed different chocolates but at least we were all trying to get those truffles in that box by just showing up to MOPS that day.

2 Comments:

  1. WWJ said...
    Will you be my truffle? :)
    Kat said...
    Of course, I could always use a good truffle.

Post a Comment