8/4/08


Damn babies! They are everywhere following me all around town, the bathroom, the store, church and now their faces greet me on blogger after I sign in. They also haunt my imagination. There are times that I stick out my tummy and make myself look pregnant while brushing my teeth. Then I realize how I didn't have to try too hard to pooch my tummy and wonder if I should lose weight before getting pregnant. I could start walking again, stop eating Godiva ice cream and other things that I just don't want to do. Hopefully, I will be pregnant soon and lose weight using the morning sickness plan. Haven't heard of it? Well, I don't advise it but that would be the bright side of throwing up your brains five times a day. Don't you think so?

Onto the latest, Edouard has made landfall and will be here soon to flood our streets and trim our trees. Honestly, he seems a bit puny right now but I am sure that he will show us his real power soon enough, which still won't be much considering he couldn't even make hurricane status before making landfall. At the least, we are getting a break from the heat, much needed water and puddles to jump in later today. Like everyone else around here, I spent part of the day getting ready for whatever this storm was planning, got some extra water, some canned foods and we cleaned up the yard. Before we set out on the yard cleaning adventure, I explained to Tiffany that hurricanes were just really big thunderstorms and of course that we were safe as long as we stayed inside the house. So, I am in the bathroom and she comes running in screaming, "Hurricane Mommy, Its Here! We have to stay inside!" Naturally, I assumed she heard a helicopter or a motorcycle but sure enough we had a small thunderstorm sweeping through so we had to hurry with the our backyard clean-up before the rain started. But I had to laugh first. She is very excited about this 'hurricane' or is she scared, I honestly can't tell but its all a great learning experience.

Speaking of learning experiences, I had a great one yesterday. Tiffany will be attending a private christian school that follows the university model school. In other words, the kids go to school 2-3 days a week and are schooled at home the other days. The school just got their certification to be a university model school and part of being certified meant that the parents are required to attend seminars provided by the school. I wasn't expecting much from these seminars and in all honesty, I was expecting some backwards home school moms to give lectures on the various topics with a 'Praise Jesus' focus. So I had my first one yesterday on Learning Styles, Sibling Order and Personality Tests. I studying this topic at length during college but it was the only one that appealed to me or that I could find relevance in, so again I wasn't expecting to learn anything. I think that God loves these moments when we think we know more than those around us so he can snap us back and give us a dose of humility. Not only was the instructor not some backwards mom but she was highly knowledgeable on the topic considering in was her career to show schools how to find their students strengths through personality tests. I was blown away even though I had learned this before.

She did discuss one type of personality assessment that I had heard of but hadn't studied much. It takes the three basic types of learning (auditory, visual, and kinesthetic) and expands that to eight intelligences. When you can determine what ways you or in this case your kids learn then you can use that information to make learning more productive. After the seminar, I found an online test that can determine which intelligences you are and it surprised me because according to this test my primary intelligence is musical. I didn't agree at first but as I looked into it I realize that I am because it is the way I learn along with spacial (visual)and interpersonal (people) intelligence. I included links below if you want to take the test and learn more about that and if you scroll all the way to the bottom of this page you can see my results.


Multiple Intelligence Tests
Click Here (this test is missing one of the intelligences)
Click Here (this test is more accurate but asks for your email and also has really good info on the topic)

1 Comment:

  1. Kristin Allen said...
    Creepy picture..ahhhhh!

Post a Comment